While the likelihood of threatening situations in our schools is extremely low, having a plan and knowing what to do in an emergency helps to protect students and staff during a critical incident. An information session for families from across the District is being held on May 8 and registration to attend is open.
A real emergency is intensely stressful for everyone involved. Taking the time outside of a crisis to understand what people can do to help keep everyone safe is a crucial component.
Parent Information Session
Parents and guardians in the Burnaby School District are invited to join us for Being Prepared: School Safety During Critical Incidents to learn about:
- what would initiate a lockdown, hold and secure, shelter in place or evacuation in a school
- what communication looks like during an emergency
- how use of social media and cell phones during a critical incident can impact safety
- how district-level and school leadership work together with local law enforcement to protect students and staff
- how we train for multiple scenarios and prepare for emergencies
Register to Attend
Presented by the District’s Safe and Caring Schools Team, the information session will be held on May 8 from 6:30 – 8:00pm. The meeting will be held on Zoom.